About Internships and Apprenticeships
Discover what it really means
Working with a master provides the skills necessary for the job. An apprenticeship program is often a long-term contract program that requires both hands-on learning and classroom learning. An apprenticeship may be required for some careers.
"An apprenticeship is a cross between a real job, on-the-job training, and related classroom instruction. Workers learn the practical and theoretical aspects of a highly skilled occupation. Who is eligible for an apprenticeship? Registered apprenticeship program sponsors identify the minimum qualifications to apply into their apprenticeship program.
- Age - To be eligible individuals can be no less than 16 years of age; however, individuals must usually be 18 to be an apprentice in hazardous occupations.
- Credentials - Program sponsors may also identify additional minimum qualifications and credentials to apply, e.g., education, ability to physically perform the essential functions of the occupation, proof of age.
- Additional eligibility factors - Based on the selection method utilized by the sponsor, additional qualification standards, such as fair aptitude tests and interviews, school grades, and previous work experience may be identified."
Learn everything there is to know about apprenticeships in Virginia: eligibility and requirements, finding a program, finding a sponsor, and related instruction,
Learn about apprenticeships in Maryland.
Interns work with a staff member of a company or government agency who acts as his or her mentor. The mentor provides guidance and ensures that the intern’s time is focused on substantive work and activities. Internships serve to help individuals learn about a profession and may be two-way streets in which the mentor's agency looks at the intern much as the intern looks at the agency. Internships can be networking tools. Contracts, if any, are usually of a limited duration. The list below is only a small sampling of internship opportunities. Be sure to check the Career Center Newsletter for internships that come in throughout the year.•
- Smithsonian Internship Opportunities A wide variety of youth internship opportunities with the Smithsonian.
- White House Internship Program "The White House Internship Program is a public service leadership program that provides a unique opportunity to gain valuable professional experience and build leadership skills."
- The Student Conservation Association"SCA provides college and high school-aged members with hands-on conservation service opportunities in virtually every field imaginable."
- Your College.edu Check with your college. Most maintain a list of opportunities for their students. If these are unavailable the summer before the freshman year, definitely check succeeding summers.