Starting a Club or Activity - Student Guidelines
Background The Club portion of the student activities program is an integral part of the educational process. It is an opportunity for students to explore new interests or socialize with friends in supervised activities.
Clubs A club is a meeting of a group of individuals for a specialized purpose. All clubs must have an assigned FCPS-employed sponsor responsible for their management. Every club must have gone through the FCPS approval process and is thus subject to FCPS regulations in regards to and all affairs.Creating a New Club
- Check on the list of current clubs to determine if a club similar to the idea you have in mind has been previously approved at your school. If no existing club matches your description, then request the appropriate registration forms from the Activities office. Note: All clubs must be student-initiated.
- Ask a current staff member to be a faculty/staff sponsor. It is necessary that a staff member sponsor each activity.
- Obtain an application packet from Stephanie Pollack | @email.
- Additionally, you must submit a proposed constitution. Write and have your sponsor sign a constitution for your club either by using a template included with the form or by creating your own format. Be sure to include elements such as how students become members of the club, how officers are chosen, how officers can be removed from office, what the responsibilities of the officers are, and how money will be raised. Any questions about the content of the constitution should be directed to the appropriate person in the Activities office. Return the signed application and signed constitution to the Activities office. All forms must be typed or computer-generated. Please check the deadline for any new clubs each year.
- The forms will be reviewed by the School’s Director of Student Activities, School Principal, and the FCPS Director of Student Activities.
Upon approval, a copy of your application and your constitution will be returned to your school’s Activities Office. The sponsor of your group will need to contact the Finance Office to set up an account. In order to raise or spend funds, clubs must have an active account in the finance office.
Fundraising and Purchases All clubs are subject to FCPS fundraising and purchasing regulations. All income and expenses from a fundraiser associated with a school club must be run through the school finance office. Refer to the appropriate regulations for specific guidance.