Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Woodson News
We are a school community where all students have purpose and value!
Woodson is having a virtual opening of school packet. Similar to last year, forms will not be mailed home this year.
All required forms and information needed for a successful start to the new school year can be found on the Opening of School Information page.Cav Kickoff/New Student Orientation
Thursday, August 22nd is a BIG day for our Cavalier Community!
For full details on Cav Kick Off, visit the Cav Kickoff page on the Woodson website.
New Student Orientation - for students new to Woodson
Thursday, August 22nd
10:00a.m. in the Auditorium
Transportation from feeder Elementary Schools to Woodson will be provided. Visit the event page for bus times and more details.
Cavalier Community Kickoff
Thursday, August 22nd
11:30a.m.-1:00p.m. Activities will be outside Door #7
During this event, you will be able to:
- Pick up your schedules (sophomores, juniors, and seniors) with LOCKER NUMBER AND COMBO in the Dance Studio from 10a.m.-1:00p.m. (freshmen and students new to Woodson will receive their schedules during the New Student Orientation breakout sessions) Keep in mind – the only way to get your locker number and combo is on the paper version of your schedule.
- Visit student clubs and activities’ sponsors on the basketball courts outside Door #7
- Purchase food from food trucks
- Learn about Woodson’s PTSO and become a member
- Visit Performing Arts Booster tables
- Purchase Athletic Booster passes and Woodson spirit wear in the main gym
- Purchase PE uniforms in the main gym
- Get MySchoolBucks and SIS ParentVUE assistance in the main gym
- Drop off medication(s) at the Clinic near Door #14
- Pick up laptop computers in Cavalier Hall, inside Door #7 from 12p.m. – 7p.m. ONLY. Students must be present to pick up their device.
Beginning Thursday, August 22nd, all students and parents will have access to class schedules in SIS StudentVUE and ParentVUE. SIS (Student Information System) is the application to see attendance, class performance, and demographic data.
Paper class schedules will be distributed at Cav Kick Off on Thursday, August 22nd from 11:30a.m.-1:00p.m.
Locker information will be included on these paper schedules.Transportation - Bus Information
FCPS Transportation will be sending an e-Notify email to families with each students' bus routes and times on Thursday and Friday, August 22nd and 23rd.
Student bus information will also be available on FCPS 24-7 (Blackboard) in the section titled Bus Stop Information.Here Comes the Bus Mobile App Here Comes the Bus will be available starting Monday, August 26th
Here Comes the Bus® app is a school bus tracking app that can simplify morning and afternoon routines for parents and students by giving them real-time bus location and text or email notification alerts, helping them get to the bus stop on time. Here Comes the Bus® utilizes our GPS data and an easy to use customizable map that works on one or multiple devices, such as a tablet or smartphone.Attendance
All student absences are reported to 703-503-4800.
Parents/guardians must call the Attendance Office to report an absence or the student may bring a note to the attendance office from his/her parent/guardian within two (2) days of their return to school. If the note is not received within two days (48 hours) of the student’s return to school or if no verbal contact with the parent has occurred, the absence is marked unexcused.
For more details about attendance including how to check-in and check-out of school, visit the attendance page https://woodsonhs.fcps.edu/about-us/attendance.Parking Passes
Parking passes for the 2019-20 school year are available for purchase online only.
All information regarding parking passes can be found on the Student Parking page on the Woodson website. The online application must be completed and payment on MySchoolBucks submitted to obtain a parking pass.
Students and parents are reminded that parking on the Woodson campus during normal school hours is by permit only. There are spaces in front of the building reserved for visitors.
The cost for a full-year parking pass is $200.00.Kiss and Ride Procedures
The Safety and Security Team would like to highlight the Kiss and Ride procedures, especially for those parents of our students new to Woodson.
- Please make sure that your child is dropped off before 8:00am
- The morning and afternoon Kiss and Ride locations are in the front of the school, extending from Doors #1 to #3 and in the rear of the school by Doors #8 and #9.
- It is imperative to the flow of traffic that all cars pull forward as far as possible to drop off their student.
- During the morning, students are only allowed to be dropped off at Kiss and Ride locations. Students are not allowed to be dropped off in the rear parking lot or in school parking spaces. The rear parking lot is for staff members and students who have purchased parking passes.
- Safety and Security Team Members are outside to assist each morning and afternoon.
We recommend that new parents become familiar with the locations before the start of school, to see which of the locations is the most convenient for them.
The keys to a successful Kiss and Ride are to obey all posted stop signs and school signs, follow any directions given, and to follow the flow of traffic.PE Uniforms
PE Uniforms can be purchased in person on Cav Kick Off day on Thursday, August 22nd and in the first week of PE classes.
You may purchase upgraded PE uniforms only online by using the following link: https://wtwpefall19.itemorder.com/sale.Picture Days
Underclass school pictures will be taken on Tuesday and Wednesday, September 5th and 6th.Reserve Your Yearbook
Did you know what last year’s yearbook sold out? Did you know that the 2020 yearbook will never be cheaper than it is today?
Order your yearbook now, before the crush of the school year!
Place a senior baby ad
Where did the time go? Place your special pictures and messages in the 2020 yearbook to treasure the memories forever.
Go to https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/index.cfm/job/5278 for sizes, prices and how-tos.Back to School Night
Mark your calendar for WTW's Back to School Night on Thursday, September 19th from 5:30p.m.-8:40p.m.
From 5:30-6:30p.m., there will be information tables in the Cafeterias and Family Life Education information available in the Library. At 6:10p.m., School Board welcome back messages will begin in the Auditorium.
Class rotations will begin at 6:30p.m. beginning with Period 1.Scoliosis Fact Sheet
Fairfax County requires that each school notifies parents and guardians with educational information on scoliosis.
Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine. It occurs in otherwise healthy children and can be a serious health problem if it becomes severe. For more information on scoliosis, please refer to the Scoliosis Fact Sheet.
For more resources regarding Student Safety and Wellness, please visit the School Health Services website.Mental Health Resources | 24/7 Emergency Numbers
If you are in crisis, text NEEDHELP to 85511, call 1-800-273-TALK, or dial 911; TTY dial 711
CrisisLink Regional Hotline: 703-527-4077 (CrisisLink is a hotline for individuals in crisis or family/friends seeking guidance for how to help a loved one)
Dominion Hospital Assessment and Referral Line: 703-536-2000
Inova Emergency Services: 703-289-7560
Mobile Crisis Unit: 1-844-627-4747
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK or 1-800-SUICIDE
Merrifield Center Emergency Services: 703-573-5679; TTY dial 711 (The Merrifield Center of the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board, offers a range of clinical programming. Emergency Services, staffed 24 hours per day, seven days per week, works with people in psychiatric crisis who need immediate attention.)
Plan D Nova https://www.plandnova.org/ (a website for Northern Virginia teens who suffer from depression: #breakthestigma)