Your best online college planning resource is Naviance. In Naviance you can explore and search for colleges, link to college websites, save your prospective college choices, explore majors and careers, compare your academic credentials with the GPA and SAT scores of admitted students at a particular college by viewing Scattergrams, register for college admissions office visits to the Career Center, and access scholarships and enrichment opportunities. Both students and parents have access to Naviance and will sign in with their SIS username and password. Don't know how to navigate Naviance? Please click on the Show Me How tab on the homepage.
Another great resource is the The Opportunities - Preparing for College Guide & Workbook. It helps high school students choose the right college, understand admission requirements, identify types of financial aid and more. Resources are available in English and Spanish.
College Planning Timelines
- Freshman Year Checklist in English / Spanish
- Sophomore Year Checklist in English / Spanish
- Junior Year Checklist in English / Spanish
- Senior Year Checklist in English / Spanish
- Bigfuture - This is the College Board college planning tool
- VA Wizard - Virginia Education Wizard college and career planning
- NACAC - See the schedule of the national college fairs (including visual and performing arts fairs) sponsored by the National Association for College Admissions Counseling
- CommonApp - Complete your Common Application online at this site
- NCAA - To play Division I or II sports at the college level, you must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse and meet the minimum requirements for scholar/athletes
- SCHEV - College planning resources from the Virginia State Department of Higher Education
- Academic Common Market - If your major is not offered at a Virginia public institution, you may be able to study at in-state tuition rates in another state
Resources for Students with Learning Disabilities
Virginia Community College System
This information is provided for your convenience and perusal. Postings do not indicate endorsement or sponsorship by W.T. Woodson, FCPS, or any administrator or employee of either W.T. Woodson or FCPS. Parents need to check any program chosen for their children. This document contains links to one or more web pages that are outside the FCPS network. Neither W.T. Woodson High School nor FCPS controls the content and relevancy of these pages.