Cav Kickoff: Freshmen / New Student Orientation
2019 Cav Kickoff and New Student Orientation
Thursday, August 22nd from 10:00a.m. – 1:00p.m.
Get excited, Cavaliers! The new school year is coming, and we invite the community to kick off the year with us on August 22nd!
New Student Orientation 10-11:30a.m.: Students who are new to Woodson (rising 9th graders and new-to-Woodson 10th-12th graders) are invited to a new student orientation where they will learn about Woodson High School, available resources, meet their school counselor, and pick up their class schedules. Transportation from feeder elementary schools will be provided. Please see the bus schedule below.
Students will be welcomed by members of the Woodson Band and Woodson cheerleaders at the auditorium entrance (entrance #18). Students may also enter through entrance #1 or #2 for a quieter arrival and can find their way to the auditorium by following the signs.
We will begin in the auditorium for a general session. Students will then be released for breakout sessions with their counselors. Parents/guardians are invited to attend a Woodson information session presented by our PTSO in Cafeteria B and visit the tables set up in the main gym while students attend the breakout sessions. In addition to the parent information session, our PTSO will be hosting a new Military Family Welcome Night the week of August 19th. More information about this event will be coming in the next few weeks. If you are interested in volunteering to be a resource to new military families in our community, please contact our PTSO President, Melissa French, at @email.
After breakout sessions, students will be encouraged to tour the building with their schedules, pick up supply lists, pick up their FREE class of 2023 t-shirt and visit the outdoor Cav Kickoff festivities near entrance #7 (see below for more info on the festivities).
Cav Kickoff 11:30a.m. - 1:00p.m: The entire Cavalier community is invited to Woodson to pick up their class and bus schedules, to enjoy food, games, music, and more to kick-off the 2019-2020 school year (activities outside near entrance #7 and the main gym)!
During this event, you will be able to:
- Pick up your schedules (sophomores, juniors, and seniors) with LOCKER NUMBER AND COMBO in the Dance Studio from 11:30a.m.-1:00p.m. (freshmen and students new to Woodson will receive their schedules during the New Student Orientation breakout sessions) Keep in mind – only way to get your locker number and combo is on the paper version of your schedule.
- Visit student clubs and activities’ sponsors on the basketball courts outside entrance #7
- Purchase food from food trucks
- Learn about Woodson’s PTSO and become a member
- Visit Performing Arts Booster tables
- Purchase Athletic Booster passes and Woodson spirit wear in the main gym
- Purchase PE uniforms in the main gym
- Get MySchoolBucks and SIS ParentVue assistance in the main gym
- Learn about our Library resources in the main gym
- Drop off medication(s) at the Clinic near entrance #14
- Pick up computers in Cavalier Hall, inside entrance #7 from 12p.m. – 7p.m. ONLY
Supply Lists - Supply lists will be available outside teacher doors at Cav Kickoff. General supplies can be purchased; specific supplies are determined by the team of teachers before school begins and will be noted on the course syllabus.
If students are unable to attend Cav Kickoff or the new student orientation, they will be able to access their schedules on SIS (Student Information System) starting on Thursday, August 22nd. Locker information will be available to these students on the first day of school.
Transportation will be provided from feeder elementary schools to and from New Student Orientation and Cav Kickoff:
- Canterbury Woods - Depart at 9:15a.m.
- Wakefield Forest - Depart at 9:20a.m.
- Little Run - Depart at 9:25a.m.
- Mantua - Depart at 9:15a.m.
- Olde Creek - Depart at 9:20a.m.
- Fairfax Villa - Depart at 9:15a.m.
- Oak View - Depart at 9:20a.m.
Students will be able to ride the bus back to their feeder elementary schools after enjoying some time at Cav Kickoff. Buses will depart Woodson at approximately 12:30p.m.
We look forward to seeing everyone on the 22nd!
The Woodson Cav Kickoff Team